Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Restaurant Review: Vitality Bowls





So I'm strolling Stoneridge Mall on Thanksgiving. Swarms of people are standing in lines and rushing into stores looking for a deal when my stomach starts to grumble. My light vegan dinner has already been digested from all the shopping cardio. So I look for something decent to put in my body that still meets my dietary needs. I see Mrs. Fields Cookies, McDonalds, See's Candy, Steak Escape, everything I wont and can't eat. Then I see the word vitality and the word bowl after it. Vitality Bowls the sign read. I quickly broke away from my friends- to check out what type of food a place with that name offered.


The menus were laid out to display a variety of Acai bowls. All of which were non-dairy and full of fruit. Some flavors came with honey, granola, broccoli, and soy milk. The menu also included salads, smoothies, sandwhichs, paninis, and other drinks. An acai bowl is staple breakfast meal in Brazil. It gracefully made its way into vegetarian and vegan restaurants in the Bay. I was utterly surprised to see such a healthy and indigenous treat being served in a mall.


The place was filled with groups of young teens all with a spoon in hand and $10 to fork over for a Vitality bowl. I had to order to see if was really as good as the crowd made it seem. For $9.99 I got a large bowl of blended acai berries topped with granola, strawberries, bananas, coconut, and honey. It was very tasty, fresh, light and fulfilling. I was inspired to make another as soon as I returned home.


Although, my taste buds were pleased I can't help but wonder will the commercializing of healthy foods degrade the quality of the product? Will the high demand for these bowls decrease the nutritional value? Are the fruits organic? Is the soy G.M.O free? Is the granola full of sugar?  Ignorance can surely be bliss when one is hungry in a mall and the only healthy option is a Vitality Bowl, but these are questions I still can't help but ask when health foods start becoming trendy.

No comments:

Post a Comment