Monday, December 2, 2013

Vegan Holiday's are YUMMY!

During the holidays countless people laugh in my face when I tell them I’m a vegan. They respond with “oooh I feel sorry for you” or “that seems boring”, and “oh how sad”. Little do they know that there are a myriad of options for vegans all year round holidays included. I am here to show and prove that vegans can have just as much fun if not more during the holidays without the extra pounds or sluggish feeling after.


 To keep it real, during the holidays I never eat with my family WHY? because every year plates are full of ham hock greens, buttery yams, cheesy bacon string bean casseroles, overstuffed turkey, and the infamous stinky chitterlings (pig intestines). There isn't a vegetable in sight that hasn't been smothered by meat or cheese. At the tender age of 13 I stopped eating most of these foods and by college I just stopped eating it altogether. During these times I would either starve or have to visit my family on an already full stomach. This year a friend invited me to her families dinner and allowed me to construct my own vegan friendly menu which she also volunteered to prepare. 


 Course One: Simple Green Salad


 Course Two: Butternut Squash Soup with Dried Cranberries 



Main Course: 
Vegan Stuffing Stuffed Bell Pepper
Baked yams
Olive Oil Roasted Brussel Sprouts
Sauted String Beans
Amy's Vegan Mac and Cheese


Dessert One: Cinnamon Spiced Baked Pears


Dessert Two: Whole Foods Vegan Pumpkin Pie


Although, I created the menu I owe my first year of eating everything on my plate to Chef Brittany, Amy's frozen Mac and Cheese (which I didn't like), and to Whole Foods for their Brussel Sprouts and Vegan Pumpkin pie. 




No comments:

Post a Comment