Monday, November 26, 2012

It's Persimmon Season + recipe

As a little girl my Nana, an unlabeled vegetarian/ health nut/food activist. Introduced me to a world of organic, sustainable fruits and vegetables through her garden. She put her soul into her garden. On her knees, in the dirt, for hours she'd hum and sing as she planted collard greens, peppers, strawberries, tomatoes, cucumbers, and squash. Not to mention our backyard had a peach, orange, and grape tree that we'd make pies, jellies, salads, and casseroles from. 

Nearby my Aunt Faye had trees full of pecans, figs, and persimmons, (what I thought were orange tomatoes). I lived like a country girl in the city which indirectly taught me the importance of organic farming, sustainability, and food justice.  Although, I had been exposed to a world full of delicious fruits and veggies the orange tomatoes stole my heart with their mild sweetness, hint of spice, and chewy texture.


There are two types of persimmons Fuyu and Hachiya. Fuyu persimmons are shaped like tomatoes, with a tough outer skin, with a mild sweetness, and can be eaten anytime. While Hachiya persimmons are acorn shaped, with a soft outer skin, and can only be eaten when very ripe (or you will get cotton mouth).


One of the great things about persimmons are their versatility. They can be eaten raw, baked with spices, canned and jellied, and even blended into a smoothie. One of my favorite persimmon treats is my Raw Vegan Persimmon Pudding.

I’ve included the recipe below:

2 Large, ripe persimmons
2 Frozen ripe bananas
4 Medjool dates
1 tsp. Vanilla
4 tbsp. Chia Seeds
4oz Coconut milk 

Directions:
Combine all ingredients in a blender on low speed until liquefied. Remove from blender and pour in a container with a lid. Cover and put into freezer for 20 minutes. Remove from freezer, serve with a mint and Chia seeds for garnish. 
(Picture coming soon) 




No comments:

Post a Comment