Monday, May 6, 2013

Race #1: March 2013 Oakland Running Festival



On my way to the race

The Oakland Running Festival is a highly anticipated event. It is the absolute talk of the town. The entire week I couldn't stop talking about it and nor could anyone else. I spent January and February training for a year of races and finally, my first race was here.

I was beyond ready, well trained, ate a carb loaded pasta dinner, prepped my clothes the night before, and was ready to rumble. 

The course was full of support. There were cheerleaders everywhere with signs, music, whistles, and BIG SMILES motivating us the whole way. The course took us on a tour around Oakland to the good, bad, and the beautiful. There was a post-race party at Snow Park  swarming with sweaty, smiling, and sore runners listening to Blues music, drinking beer, and snacks while kids played in jumpers. The weather was amazing, the city at peace, and I had just completed 13.1 miles.

My time: 2 hours and 35 minutes


Tired at mile 12 but still smiling 

I rewarded myself with a manicure and pedicure and lunch at one of my favorite restaurants: Shan-gri-La. I deserved it.


No comments:

Post a Comment