Friday, August 17, 2012

Vegan Kitchen Staples



In order to support my lifestyle I keep my kitchen stocked with various vegan staples. Although, there are times when I go through phases  when I love one fruit for breakfast for the whole week or I may opt to use a certain seasonal veggie in every meal  until it disappears. Putting these instances aside. There are certain foods that will always have a place in my kitchen solely due to their nutritional value. 

But, please believe there was once a time I reached for food based on how good it tasted or how inexpensive it appeared. Yet, now I have learned to eat food for their nutrient density rather than the taste density. I quickly realized I could have the best of both worlds: great tasting food with high nutritional value- which ends up being cheaper in the long run as I preserve my health and prevent illness. 

In America, our food labels compute our food into calories. However, in Europe their food labels compute food into energy. Taking this fact into account I ask myself which foods give me more energy: live fruits, veggies, seeds, and nuts or processed and chemical filled breads, dairy, meat, and sugars? Live vegan food always wins. 




 Which foods give me more energy?




 Live vegan foods require less from our bodies. These foods often take less than 1 hour to exit the body and they place little pressure on the digestive system. In, addition these foods are cleansing, as they provide nutrients that aid in washing away toxins. Below is a list of life giving foods I always have in my kitchen:



  • Organic fuji apples
  • Organic Strawberries
  • Organic blueberries 
  • Bananas
  • Kale
  • Collards        
  • Spinach     
  • Carrots
  • Beets
  • Sprouts
  • Cucumber
  • Celery
  • Dulse
  • Avocado
  • Red bell pepper
  • Lemons
  • Dates
  • Sprouted almonds
  • Black beans
  • Lentils
Packaged/bottled
  • Coconut oil
  • Coconut water
  • Raw peanut butter
  • Himalayan salt 
  • Chia seeds

No comments:

Post a Comment