Monday, August 20, 2012

My Vegan Meal Plan

Vegan Food Pyramid



I’d like to think I’m a fairly organized person- I organize my days, my to-do list, sometimes my house- but always my meals. Meal planning keeps my lifestyle stress free as I balance work, exercise, and a social life. When I plan my meals out I am rarely hungry, meals are simple and easier to prepare, and it leaves less room to eat foods I do not consider desirable. 

There are a few steps I follow to keep meal planning and preparing simple. First, I create a weekly meal plan every Sunday next, I create a grocery list, then I purchase my groceries, and finally I prepare and store my meals for the week.

I do not shop without my list and I try not to deviate from it. I do allow myself one extra thing not on the list for fun this structure supports my finances and my diet. I strive to purchase only whole foods, unproccessed, unpackaged, and  uncanned. Although, sometimes I do buy frozen berries for smoothies. When I create my meal plans I always  take into account my activity level. I run between 25-35 miles a week in addition to 3-4 weight training sessions a week. With that in mind I need enough oxygen giving foods from green leafy vegetables, protein from nuts, seeds, beans, and quinoa, healthy fats from avocado and coconut oil and lots of water from fruits, veggies, and by the glass of course.

In a nutshell:
  1. Create a meal plan on Sunday
  2. Make grocery list
  3. Purchase groceries
  4. Prepare meals for the week
  5. Store them in glass containers or plastic bags in fridge

My Sweet tooth is slowly fading away!


A sample meal plan for me looks like this:
Days 1,3,5 (Very active days)
Monday, Wednesday, Friday total: 1,823 Calories



Meal 1
Meal 2
Meal 3
Meal 4
Meal 5
Meal 6
Hot water w/ lemon
+
Glutamine, Probitotic
Green Smoothie: Spinach, strawberries, blueberries, banana, coconut water, aloe vera juice, maca powder, chia seeds
+ Multivitamin
300 calories
4 Collards
Wraps w/ hummus, sprouts, celery, cucumber, tomato, red pepper
+ Digestive Enzyme

275 calories
Big Fat Salad: Kale, spinach, tomato, sprouts, cucumber, avocado, red pepper, seeds, tahini dressing
260 calories
Peanut Butter and Banana
305 calories
Kale, quinoa, black beans, sweet potato
+ all supplements
470 calories
Banana, almond milk Vega Protein powder smoothie
213 calories

You notice there aren’t any sweets on this meal plan aside from fruit. My sweet tooth is slowly fading away. I used to crave cookies, pies, and ice cream. Now, I reach for a banana, a handful of grapes, or a few dates. AND when these aren’t enough (which sometimes they’re not during certain times of the month) I reach for 80% dark chocolate or raw coconut ice cream.






No comments:

Post a Comment