Friday, October 5, 2012

Vegan in Atlanta Part 2: R. Thomas Grill

Menu
 It is my goal to visit every vegan friendly restaurant in my vicinity be it my home town, my new home, or any place I maybe visiting that feels like home. I love healthy food, I love trying new things, and I love sharing the experience with others. So here goes. I knew I'd be traveling to the Atlanta and would need to eat so I researched all of the vegan restaurants in ATL and the one closest to my hotel was R. Thomas Grill.

R. Thomas Grill is unlike any place I've ever been its has the laid back flare of the South with a California inspired menu. The outside looks like a pumpkin patch with pumpkins, scarecrows, caged birds, grassy hay, and the occasional skull here and there. (Think of Halloween year around) Inside, is like a busy cafeteria, picnic style tables and even more of the pumpkins and skulls decor. 

Southern Vegetarian Bowl: Vegan Green, Mashed potatoes with mushroom gravy, smashed sweet potatoes, corn bread
 The place was amazingly busy not to mention there was a line out the door to get in. The harried wait staff bypassed greetings and asked that I shout out my order. Although, I had reviewed their menu online at least 20x before (which is kinda my thing just to be sure meals fit into my daily nutrition and caloric needs) being there live and in the flesh required I place a little extra attention on the desserts. Yum!

The great thing about R.Thomas Grill is that it caters to every type of eater from carnivore, pescatarain to down right raw vegan. I mean truly you could order a burger, fish, vegan bowl, to a raw pie all in one menu. As I hear it this place also happens to be popular to Atlanta's rich and famous such at Ludacris, Usher, and Andre 3000 to name a few.

I digress.

 After shouting out my order I waited patiently taking in the ATL restaurant vibe- I can't say it was much different from the Bay yet I can say I am glad the Bay is culturally diverse. First arrives my Donkey Kong Smoothie (which I sipped up so quick I forgot to take a picture of it). While sipping I watch the owner circulate the room with baby birds in which people were eager to hold and touch. He seemed very kind and warm-hearted. Shortly after my food arrived and it was good; my server Michael who happened to be a former athlete was very friendly and introduced me to the Souths well known Southern hospitality. I thoroughly enjoyed my smoothie, my entree was okay, and my dessert  was delicious. Overall, it was  a great experience and I am so glad I went.


Mango Pie (which I later learned is NOT vegan)

No comments:

Post a Comment